Recurring Start/Stop system issues on 2022 Wagoneer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarbaraAce0129

Reaction score
We have a 2022 Wagoneer 4X4 that started having issues with the Start/Stop system within the first 375 miles. Every time we’d start the vehicle, a yellow Start/Stop icon and warning message would appear, saying the system couldn’t be activated. After reading online, we figured the eTorque battery needed charging, and within a couple of days, the light went off.

The Start/Stop operated normally for a certain time, effectively turning the engine on and off at several traffic lights, once the error code cleared. At one point though, the engine died totally at a stoplight, several error messages showed up, and the car turned itself into Park. As the light changed, we had to restart the car and hand shift it back into Drive.

The suspected problem, the dealer replaced the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Two weeks later the system seemed to be back to normal. Sadly, the issue returned about 1,125 miles. The engine now turns off at lights and returns under Park with dash start/stop warnings. We're planning to return to the dealer next week and request they inspect or replace the eTorque battery, which we suspect is the root cause. Honestly, I wish they'd just remove the system entirely – the 5.7L HEMI runs great without it, and the car feels perfect without the Start/Stop hybrid complications.

So, if the root issue is in the battery or how the system manages charging, then I don't think replacing the PCM would be enough.
Yeah, ask them to investigate potential software glitches in the Start/Stop system or faulty wiring connections.

Update: You are not alone in wanting the Start/Stop system to be removed. It seems many drivers complain about this. Hopefully, the dealer can offer a more permanent fix this time. Keep us updated.

We have a 2022 Wagoneer 4X4 that started having issues with the Start/Stop system within the first 375 miles. Every time we’d start the vehicle, a yellow Start/Stop icon and warning message would appear, saying the system couldn’t be activated. After reading online, we figured the eTorque battery needed charging, and within a couple of days, the light went off.

The Start/Stop operated normally for a certain time, effectively turning the engine on and off at several traffic lights, once the error code cleared. At one point though, the engine died totally at a stoplight, several error messages showed up, and the car turned itself into Park. As the light changed, we had to restart the car and hand shift it back into Drive.

The suspected problem, the dealer replaced the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Two weeks later the system seemed to be back to normal. Sadly, the issue returned about 1,125 miles. The engine now turns off at lights and returns under Park with dash start/stop warnings. We're planning to return to the dealer next week and request they inspect or replace the eTorque battery, which we suspect is the root cause. Honestly, I wish they'd just remove the system entirely – the 5.7L HEMI runs great without it, and the car feels perfect without the Start/Stop hybrid complications.
I got you, sir! I had this issue a few months ago. And it is absurd.
Just check the hood latch. I bet you had a note about the hood being open when you first encountered the problem.
I had no problems since I replaced the hood latch.

Join the Jeep Wagoneer Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Latest posts

Back