Rear Liftgate is stuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviendHaaa

Reaction score
My rear liftgate is stuck shut, and I've tried everything I can think of to open it. I've even tried using a screwdriver to release the latch, but no luck. The car thinks the liftgate is open, so the lights are always on, and it's driving me crazy.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I've been to a dealership, but they couldn't see me for weeks and didn't even try to diagnose the issue. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this running smoothly asap for my long drive.

My rear liftgate is stuck shut, and I've tried everything I can think of to open it. I've even tried using a screwdriver to release the latch, but no luck. The car thinks the liftgate is open, so the lights are always on, and it's driving me crazy.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I've been to a dealership, but they couldn't see me for weeks and didn't even try to diagnose the issue. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this running smoothly asap for my long drive.
I recently had this happen and what I did was I took a peek inside the lock assembly and spotted this little hole on the left side of the plastic cover that looked just like a keyhole. I figured, why not? I grabbed a screwdriver, slid it into that opening, and nudged the metal part to the right. And just like that, I had it unlocked!

It seems for @greesemuunkie it worked.

Just check if there is any debris that might prevent you from opening. But first (this just came into my mind), don't you have a manual release, near the latch?

But if the car thinks the liftgate is open, then it might be something on the electric side. Try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes (for reset). I hope it works.

Join the Jeep Wagoneer Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Latest posts

Back