Liftgate on my Series II GW opens on its own

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GryphonFeather_1992

Reaction score
We’ve been having a strange issue with our Series II Grand Wagoneer, where the liftgate randomly opens on its own. The most recent (and concerning) incident happened while it was parked in the garage, and the liftgate got stuck in the garage door.

This isn't the first time, either. It’s opened unexpectedly while driving in a parking lot—everything in the back fell out! And another time, it popped open while backing out of the garage and driving through the neighborhood.

We’re careful not to keep the keyfob near anything that might trigger the liftgate, and we always make sure the hatch is securely closed after using it. Learned from issues we had with our Explorer.

The vehicle is currently at the dealership, but it's been a couple of weeks without any updates. Does anyone know if there are audit logs or error logs that could help figure out what’s triggering these random openings? I’m curious if others have experienced this and know of any potential fixes.

Uh, this can be a potentially dangerous problem! I can bet it is an electrical issue, wiring, or a faulty sensor.
As I know, the Series II Grand Wagoneer has a diagnostic system that tracks when certain components are activated. I would go to the dealership and have him access those logs or error codes. If you know how can you access them, then just let them know about it and explain the situation.
Insist on asking them about clarification and the status of the car...

Join the Jeep Wagoneer Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Latest posts

Back